Owl's Head Lighthouse, Owl's Head, ME

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's For Supper?

They want to know what's for supper.....AGAIN!

They, being the four that call me Mommy. Regardless of what else is happening in our lives they always want to know, "What's for supper?" It is a cry that is heard all over the world by mothers everywhere. And most of the time it is a trigger for confusion and monotony.

Oh, yeah. Supper. Didn't I just feed them? No that was two hours ago when I made about 5 gallons of popcorn. Often my mind is trained on too many things. I am thinking of my exercise plan for the day and grieving for the family members whose health continues to fail while I am away from them. Spelling tests, grading first and second grade math, nurturing our marriage, dishes that never end and the oversight of the growth of four very human little people all leave me feeling super-saturated with life.

As I attempt to retreat inside the walls of my mind, the cry comes from out there. "Supper? Food? Something to eat?" The emotion behind the words become more insistent the longer I attempt to retreat.

Can they really be that hungry....already?

I think maybe that the words they say are actually needing translation. "Mommy, do you see me? Are you thinking of me? Will you meet my needs? Mommy?"

When the words actually translate in my mind, I can look at them with love instead of annoyance. Can they tell my mind is elsewhere? No doubt.

Because their needs are as deep as my own, I will see what mommy-miracles I can perform with a can of beans and one of corn. It matters less to them what is on their plates than that it is placed there by the one they depend on. Their security is in knowing that the parents they love will continue to provide.

So I know, and long to be reassured, that my Provider will meet my ongoing and sometimes very messy needs. I come to Him, begging for help, without the right words to truly express my feelings, and yet He does not fail to fill the longings in my soul.

My words need no translator for He sees beyond them into my need.....and He meets me there. Unlike this mother, He is never failing.....never absent. He sees His child and He....always.....meets the need.

"...But ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ;" Rom. 8:15-17

"And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God." Rom. 8:27

"And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee." Psalms 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment