Owl's Head Lighthouse, Owl's Head, ME

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Life Happens

I wondered aloud one day to my husband if I might run out of things to write about, since my life doesn't vary that much from day to day. He responded, "Shouldn't be a problem. Life will keep happening." Always the voice of reason, that one.

Today, life continues to "happen." While it hasn't been a bad day, it has had it's challenges. We have what I consider to be very spotty phone and internet provider coverage. With no apparent reason and without warning, I frequently lose the use of both telephone and internet. Sometimes I can fiddle with things until it returns, and at other times it seems to be governed by something else, totally out of my control. Apparently, today it was the latter.

Plugging and unplugging wires. Re-situating boxes, and occasionally growling at the devices, did nothing to return service. Somehow, I always feel out of sorts when these staples of our life are out of commission. After awhile, I finally gave up and realized there was nothing left for me to do but wait.

Thinking I needed to get laundry done, I threw in my next load---darks. Soap in--check. Fabric softener in--check. Door closed--check. Water on--check. Now any mother knows that there is no more feared sound than that of a funky sounding washing machine. Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that occasional funkiness, but have chosen to ignore it. It has continued to work....until today.

Turning back toward the machine that dared to make that sound, I cringed as water poured out the bottom of the door. While the laundry remained dry, the carpet did not. Oh no. Looking inside, I decided with the eye of an experienced laundress, that something didn't seem right, but that I had no idea what that was.

First instinct was to try and catch my husband on the phone to see if he could lend any insight. Whoops! No phone. No internet. Hmmmm.....Think I'll go reheat the coffee now.

Now, I am not sure there is any special lesson that I am learning, except that my husband knows what he is talking about. Life does keep happening. With all of its twists, turns, bumps and holes, it bears a remarkable resemblance to Maine roads in the spring.

The Lord always seems to smooth it just enough for us to make our way over. Panic, rarely does me any good, so I am going to leave it on the shelf for the time being. I'm letting the washer "rest" for now, in the hope that it was just revolting against one more load.

Obviously, I again have internet service. It came back without warning and without fanfare (well, maybe just a bit of quiet cheering on my part). So there---I am thankful I can contact the outside world, while I enjoy the air conditioning in my home (which I am also extremely thankful for)!

Thankful the Lord always has a plan, even though I am without ideas. I am sure that had I designed my life's road, I would have left out most of the pot holes. But then maybe I wouldn't have that "happening" life that I am blessed to share.



"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: He is a buckler to all those that trust in Him. For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect. He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places." (Ps. 18:30-33)

"Let the words of my mouth, and meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." (Ps. 19:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment